Thursday, January 23, 2014

Question 1- Form and Meaning


        Considering the question posed this week, it was difficult to remember the many books I have read. I certainly have never thought about a book’s form affecting its meaning, yet one intriguing example comes to mind. I have little experience with digital books; as a result, my story shall be told through a printed item.

         Recently, I was in the Robarts Library researching a paper. I wanted to learn more about the American Museum and its founder P.T. Barnum. I was not sure what I was expecting to find, but rummaging through the aisles one particular book struck my eye. Bound within a crossed black ribbon and clasp, the Life of P.T. Barnum was contained between a dark leather hardcover. It was an autobiography written in 1855 and likely the oldest book I have held. The manner in which it was stored and the condition it was in affected the meaning of the contents.

         Even though it was in the library and available for public use, not being an extremely rare book, there was still a sense of care and caution in holding it. The act of warily untying the ribbon and slowly creaking the cover open was influential to how I would perceive the subject matter within. The unfamiliar process was quite interesting and immediately one realizes the age. While the book was not too old, it was very worn; the paper that it was written in was rather musty and coarse. The rough edges and the old medium commanded a certain sense of authenticity. I felt that the form helped make me appreciate the content as a primary document. I could interpret right away that this was antiquated, yet valuable, knowledge.

       Overall, the general appearance and condition had an effect on its meaning. The form directly caught my attention from the onset and shaped the experience in a way. While I may not have been completely enthralled by the story, this example was only the most recent in my memory. Regardless, it is not too often one holds a 160 year old book and the words were to a degree made more engaging.  

No comments:

Post a Comment