Thursday, March 20, 2014

Essay Topic: Publishing in Museums

So I've be oscillating between various final essay topics all semester, and I think I've finally found one which includes equal elements from museum studies and information studies.

My, hopefully last, essay topic is publishing within museums, including its history and a consideration of its future. I think this is an interesting topic because there was once a time when all the big name museum had their own publishing departments. They'd publish books written by their inhouse researchers and curators, exhibit booklets, and all manner of miscellaneous museum literature. Yet with the continual decline in funding which is effecting most museums within Canada, and abroad, publishing departments are one of the common casualties of budget cuts and redistributions.

I am very interested in the future of publishing within museums, and whether the use of apps, like the iBooks Author, will become a standard. As well, I think that it is interesting that even though most museums are still very focused on the importance of the materiality of objects, they seem to be edging towards online, intangible, publishing options.

Loved to know what you all think! Suggestions are very welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment