Monday, February 17, 2014

Encoding Challenge

Our group (Polina, Brad, Sally, myself) will be encoding two pages from this book:




I had heard of this book years ago when it was released but never got around to picking up a copy to read, so I was happy to see Polina mention it on the blog and have the chance to look at the text more closely. The most challenging aspect of encoding this book I am finding is the layout. The pages throughout the book include extensive marginalia, images, captions, maps etc.

The challenge here is how to decide on what our XML is trying to do with this text? Both pages include various different images and what we are trying to do is decide on how to incorporate these images into the code to emphasis their importance and how essential they are to understanding the text.

We began as a group as deciding what factors were the most important to tag, such as, <p>, <hi>, <emph>, <name>, etc. We also discussed what aspects of the layout could/should be eliminated such as page numbers. We also noted aspects we thought were interesting and essential to including somehow within the code, for example the color of the map on the first page being sepia toned, whereas every other images are simply black and white.

Now I am looking specifically looking at this image :




By going through the TEI elements I have begun to break down the image into code and  have decided to start by breaking it down from <figure> as a whole, to <header> “The McAwesome Trident of Desire>, to <figDesc> to describe the three images. As I continue working on the images through the rest of the week I am hopeful that I will successfully decipher what parts of these images are essential in illustrating what our XML perspective is.

No comments:

Post a Comment