Saturday, February 22, 2014

How do we cite an app?

In a paper I wrote recently for Sara Grimes' Remix Culture course - in which I made the argument that we need to redefine authorship as a collaborative process if we can ever hope to justify the remix authors as authors - I ran into the peculiar problem of trying to cite an e-book in the form of an iPad app. The source was Disney's "Animated" app [I was trying to use the "legitimized" collaborative process of making an animated musical as a metaphor for the "illegitimate" collaborative remix practice], which (as I have already described briefly) is an interactive coffee table book in which Disney animators explain the past, present, and future of the Disney animation process using examples from Disney movies from past to present.

My major difficulty with citing this app was that there are no standards for how to describe things like a sketch or the four frames of a hand-drawn cartoon that make up a video illustrating a specific movement that exist within (or at least along side) the text of an e-book. I feel like it is incredibly important to credit the animators that created these sketches and short films (as does Disney, who add a caption with this information under each of these elements) that were not created for this app, but which have never been published elsewhere, so just citing the app and adding a general entry for the app into my Works Cited doesn't cut it for me when it comes to citation. Unfortunately, this is the only standard way to cite these things if you are following MLA or APA citation standards. I can't help but feel that new, more inclusive standards need to be created in order to more accurately credit content creators.

How could we represent collaborative authorship more accurately in these formats? Citation style guides will certainly have to adapt as these sorts of "futures of the book" continue to be published. I think it will come down to trying to credit individual collaborators first, and then describing the source in which the person making the citation found the content first.

No comments:

Post a Comment